Easy Food Basics may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Yes, you can easily freeze coleslaw for 3 to 6 months as long as it is a vinegar based dressing and not made with mayonnaise. Make your coleslaw, transfer it to an airtight container, label the container and put it in the freezer.
How to Freeze Coleslaw
Coleslaw is a crunchy, sweet and tangy side dish. It is easy to make and goes with a variety of different foods such as barbecue, hamburgers and hot dogs.
It's a great dish to make in bulk and take for parties or large get togethers. However, it doesn't last terribly long in the fridge. You could only keep it for 3 to 5 days.
Given it's short shelf life, you may wonder if you can make it in advance or if you've made too much how you can save it for later.
It's good to know that coleslaw can be frozen to help extend it short shelf life as long as it's made with a vinegar based dressing and not mayonnaise. It's a pretty easy process and is similar to freezing spaghetti, freezing risotto or freezing pulled pork.
You can freeze coleslaw mix without a dressing if you prefer to add mayonnaise-based dressing after you saw it. But, be aware that freezing the coleslaw mix without any dressing will lead to the cabbage and other vegetables being much less crunchy when defrosted.
Coleslaw with vinegar dressing
If you've already completely made your coleslaw, you can freeze it with the vinegar dressing.
- Prepare it. Whip up your favorite coleslaw recipe.
- Make portions. Decide how much you'll need to use when you thaw it and portion it into those sizes.
- Pack it. Transfer your coleslaw into a freezer bag or an airtight container. Make sure to leave only an inch or two of space between the top of the coleslaw and the lid of your container or the top of the freezer bag. This limits the amount of air it's exposed to.
- Seal and label. Press any extra air out of your freezer bag and carefully zip it shut. Or, if you've used an airtight container, secure the lid on the top of it. Then, use a marker or a pen and write the date on the outside of the bag or container.
- Freeze it. Toss your container or bag into your freezer.
Coleslaw mix without dressing
If you want to freeze your coleslaw mix without adding dressing because perhaps you prefer a mayonnaise base dressing which does not freeze well you can freeze just the mix.
Do note that the cabbage, while it can be frozen raw, will lose texture quickly in the freezer. So, if you're freezing this way it's best to only freeze for one month or so. Otherwise, you will not have as crunchy of a coleslaw once you thaw it.
- Prepare it. Whip up your favorite coleslaw mix, but do not add any dressing.
- Make portions. Decide how much you'll need when thawed and portion it into those sizes.
- Pack and seal. Toss the mix into an airtight container or freezer bag. If using a freezer bag, squeeze any excess air out before zipping it shut. If using it in airtight container, try to fill it so that there is only an inch or so between the coleslaw mix and the lid.
- Label and freeze. Write the date on the container or bag and then toss it into the freezer.
Top freezing tips
Whether you're freezing your cool saw with or without dressing, make sure you follow these tips so that it will maintain the highest quality.
- The fresher the better. Make sure that you freeze your coleslaw or coleslaw mix right away. It does not last long in the fridge, so freezing it when it's first made will help seal in the quality and freshness.
- Don't do creamy. Mayonnaise paste coleslaws will not freeze well due to the fact that the mayonnaise will separate. So, either freeze just the coleslaw mix without dressing or coleslaw with a vinegar dressing.
- Not too long. The longer the coleslaw stays in the freezer, the more the crunchy texture will degrade over time. So, it's best to limit its time in the freezer.
How to Defrost Coleslaw
Defrosting coleslaw is super easy. You simply need to remove it from the freezer and then place it into your refrigerator overnight. Usually it only takes five or so hours to defrost depending on how much you've frozen together.
You may find that there is some extra liquid buildup once it is thawed. So, if this is the case, you can pour or drain this off before serving it.
Freezing Coleslaw FAQ
Can you freeze already made coleslaw?
Yes, you can freeze already made coleslaw as long as it has a vinegar based dressing. Coleslaws made with mayonnaise do not freeze well as the mayonnaise will separate once frozen.
How long does coleslaw stay good frozen?
Coleslaw stays good frozen for 3 to 6 months. After that you will start to see some significant texture changes in the crunchy cabbage and other vegetables. It technically stays safe to eat longer than that, but the texture changes will become undesirable.
Is coleslaw good after its frozen?
Yes, coleslaw is good after it's frozen. Do be aware that it won't be quite as crunchy or fresh once you thaw it though.
Can you freeze coleslaw made with Miracle Whip?
You can freeze coleslaw made with miracle whip. It will still separate some the way mayonnaise does, but not as drastically.
How long should you keep coleslaw in the fridge?
You should only keep coleslaw in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. You should only keep coleslaw in the fridge for 3 or 4 days.
How to Freeze Coleslaw
- airtight container
- marker or pen
- freezer bags
- Coleslaw with vinegar dressing or just the mix
- This method works for coleslaw with vinegar dressing or coleslaw mix without dressing added.note: you can freeze coleslaw with Miracle Whip and it defrosts OK. while mayonnaise based dressing can be frozen safely, it will separate upon defrosting leading to a not great texture.
- Portion out the coleslaw into the amounts you will want when it's defrosted.
- Dump it into a freezer bag or an airtight container.Note: if using a container, try to use one where there is only an inch or two between the coleslaw and the lid to cut down on the air exposure.
- Seal it up by zipping the bag shut after pressing all of the air out of it. Or, by securing the lid on top of the container.
- Write the date on your package and toss it into the freezer.