Easy Food Basics may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
You can easily freeze almond milk for up to 6 months simply by putting it in an airtight container in the freezer. However, freezing almond milk causes it to separate and its texture and taste will not be the same at thawing even if you blend it together.
How to Freeze Almond Milk
Almond milk is a popular plant-based milk that people use as a replacement for cow's milk especially when they don't eat dairy. Almond milk is made simply by soaking almonds and water and then blending them and then straining the liquid.
Freezing almond milk is similar to freezing other milks such as oat milk in that it does freeze but it separates upon thawing. The separation is caused to the fact that it is mostly made up of water and the remaining parts of the almond milk fiber and other small pieces of almond.
The water has a different freezing point than the solid pieces. So as each part freezes at different times this causes the separation in the product.
So, it's important to note this before deciding to freeze your almond milk as you probably won't want to drink it straight once it's defrosted.
The methods below work for unsweetened, sweetened, store-bought or homemade almond milk. It is important to decide how you will use it when it's to frosted so that you can freeze it and appropriately portioned sizes.
Freezing in a container of freezer bag
If you know that you'll be using your almond milk quickly or in large amounts and baking, then it's best to freeze it in an airtight container or freezer bags.
- Portion it up: start out by deciding what portion sizes you'll need to use it in. Those are the portions you'll freeze it in.
- Pack it up: next, for your portions into your airtight container or freezer bag. Making sure to leave 1 to 2 in of room at the top of the bag or container so that the liquid can expand as a freezes.
- Seal it up: Place the lid on your container or zip your freezer bag shot. If you're using a freezer bag, make sure to squeeze any excess air out of the bag before fully closing.
- Label it and freeze it: Grab a pen or marker and label the container or bag with the date. Then place it into your freezer. If you're freezing in a freezer bag, it's best to lay the bags flat for maximum storage space.
Freezing in ice cube tray
If you'll be using It in small amounts once it's defrosted, it's best to freeze it in an ice cube tray. To do this:
- Pour it: take your tray and pour into the compartments. Make sure to leave a little space at the top of each compartment in order to allow room for the liquid to expand as it freezes.
- Freeze it: Place the ice cube tray into the freezer and allow it to sit for a few hours until it freezes solid.
- Pack it: Remove the ice cube tray from the freezer and pop your cubes of almond milk out. Then, place them in a freezer bag or airtight container. If you choose choose a freezer bag, make sure to press any air out of the bag before sealing it shut.
- Label it and Refreeze it: Label your bag or container with The date. And then pop it back into the freezer.
Freezing in the carton
If you have not yet opened your almond milk, you might be tempted to freeze it in the container it comes in. While this method is not recommended for several reasons we'll discuss below, it is possible to try it if you're short on time.
To use this method, simply take your closed container and pop it into your freezer.
A few notes about this method:
As mentioned above, liquid expand as it freezes. So, there is a chance that your carton can rip or bust.
Additionally, store-bought cartons are not not to be used in the freezer and therefore they may not prescribe the same amount of protection as a airtight container or freezer bag.
How to Defrost Almond Milk
The absolute best way to defrost almond milk is just simply remove it from your freezer and place it in your fridge overnight. If you frozen it in small portion such as ice cubes it won't take terribly long to defrost. However, if you've frozen it in a bulk in a bag or container it may need a little longer than overnight to fully thaw.
Some people recommend if you want to speed up the process to simply place the container or bag under warm running water. However, it's not usually recommended to defrost any item that needs to be kept refrigerated in any way other than in the refrigerator.
How are you choose to defrost your almond milk, once it is fully thorough you will see that it is separated with a yellowish layer on top and more solids on the bottom. In order to use it and try to remain a decent texture, you should shake the almond milk vigorously, whip it with a whisk or place it in a blender for 15 to 20 seconds.
Note: Even with shaking, whisking or blending the ultimate texture of the thawed almond milk will not be as smooth as fresh almond milk. So just keep this in mind when freezing your milk.
How to Use Thawed Almond Milk
Although you could try drinking thawed almond milk, the changed in texture and taste doesn't make it particularly yummy. Therefore, it's best to use it for situations like:
- adding to smoothies
- in your coffee
- substitute for regular milk in baking: almond milk can be used in a variety of things from quiches to cookies. Here is a list of delicious almond milk recipes to try.
Freezing Almond Milk FAQ
What happens to almond milk when it freezes?
Almond milk is essentially water content combined with pieces of almond like almond fat and fiber. When almond milk freezes, the water freezes first and the other parts of the almond milk separate and freeze later due to having different freezing points.
Can store bought almond milk be frozen?
Yes, store-bought almond milk can be frozen even though most manufacturers discourage it. It's discouraged to the fact that the texture and taste will be different when thawed.
How long can almond milk stay frozen?
Almond milk can stay frozen up to 6 months. However, after that time it's not that it will go bad it's simply the texture and flavor will continue to degrade.
How long does it take almond milk to freeze?
If you're freezing almond milk in small portions such as an ice cube tray, it only takes a few hours for it to freeze. However, if you're freezing it by the cup full or more in a bag or container it can take several hours to freeze.
How long does almond milk stay good in the fridge?
Once opened, almond milk stays good in the fridge for around 7 to 10 days.
How to Freeze Almond Milk
- airtight container
- marker or pen
- freezer bags
- Ice Cube Tray
- Almond Milk Homemade or store-bought
In the Carton
- This is not a preferred method, but can be used when you are low on time.
- Simply toss the whole, unopened carton into the freezer.
- Notes:1) Liquid expands when frozen, so the carton may bulge or tear. To prevent this, you can open it and pour an inch or two out. But by the time you do that, you may as well use one of the below methods.2) the store-bought container is not made to be in the freezer and may not provide the same protection as a freezer bag or freezer safe container.3) for a little extra protection, you can place the whole carton into a freezer bag before tossing it in the freezer.
In Freezer bag or airtight container
- Portion it out into the amounts you will need when defrosted.
- Pour your portions into individual airtight containers or freezer bags:note: use containers that only leave about 1 - 2 inches of space between the top of the almond milk and the lid to reduce air.
- Seal it up:bags: press any air out of the bag and zip it closed.container: grab the lid and pop it on the top of the container.
- Take a pen or marker and write the date on the package and place it flat into the freezer.
In ice cube tray
- Pour almond milk into each compartment of the ice cube tray leaving a little space in each for expansion on frezing.
- Pop the tray into the freezer for a few hours until the almond milk is solid.
- Remove from the freezer and pop the frozen cubes out of the tray.
- Toss your frozen cubes into an airtight container or freezer bag.
- Zip your bag shut after pressing any air out. Or, pop the lid on top of your container.
- Label the package with the date and then place it into the freezer.