Easy Food Basics may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Yes, you can freeze marscapone cheese for 3 to 5 months. Simply wrap it tightly, place it in an airtight container, label it and freeze it. Upon thawing, whip it back together as it will separate and become grainy when defrosted.
How to Freeze Mascarpone Cheese
Mascarpone cheese is a soft cheese originally from Italy. It is very similar to cream cheese with the exception that it is made from cream instead of milk.
It is used in a variety of different dishes from tiramisu to pasta. It lends a slightly sweet and creamy flavor.
Due to its nature as a soft cheese and one that is eaten fresh instead of aged, it doesn't last as long as other cheeses do in the fridge. So, this might lead you to wondering how you can extend shelf life.
Whether you have store-bought mascarpone cheese or have made homemade mascarpone cheese, it's all frozen the same way. In fact, the process is also similar to freezing cottage cheese, freezing nacho cheese and freezing greek yogurt.
It is important to know that due to the high fat content in the cheese, it will tend to separate when frozen. This can be mostly remedied by whipping it back together after defrosting.
However, the texture won't be exactly the same as fresh, so you may want to use it in dishes instead of spreading it on bagels for example.
Prepare your cheese for freezing by making sure that it has not separated while in the refrigerator. If there is any separation, stir it vigorously so that it is well combined.
Decide what size portions you'll be using when you thawed, and divy the cheese up into appropriate portion sizes.
Package it in an airtight container or a freezer bag. If you'd like to provide an additional layer of protection, you can wrap it in a layer of plastic wrap before putting it in the container or bag.
Feeling container by putting the lid on it or seal your bag by zipping it closed. If you're using a freezer bag, make sure that you've squeezed out any excess air before closing it.
Go ahead and label your container or bag with the date.
Place your container or bag into your freezer.
Successful freezing tips
In addition to the steps above, follow these top tips to make sure that you get the highest quality when you defrost your cheese.
- Do it fresh. Fresh marscapone cheese only lasts for 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator. So, if you know you'll be freezing it freeze it as soon as possible for maximum freshness and quality.
- Keep the air out. The key to happiness texture changes and maintaining the perfect flavor is to make sure that your container or for user bag is completely airtight.
- Don't smash it. Mascarpone cheese is a very soft cheese so make sure that you don't put it in a place in the freezer where it can be smushed. This is particularly important if you're using a freezer bag instead of an actual hard container.
How to Defrost Mascarpone Cheese
There are two steps to defrosting mascarpone cheese. The first is simply to remove it from the freezer and pop it into your refrigerator overnight.
Next, once it is thawed, you'll notice that it's texture is a little off and it may be partially separated. To get it back to a more normal texture, simply take a whisk and whip it together for a few seconds.
It might be tempting to speed up the defrosting process by putting it in the microwave, leaving it on the counter, or running it under warm water It is best to not do any of these things. A drastic temperature change can not only mess with the texture and quality of the cheese but also the safety.
If you froze it in a freezer bag, it can be kind of messy to get out of. A quick tip to do it easily is to press the cheese towards one bottom corner of the bag. Then, hold the bag over a bowl or container and snip the end off. Then squeeze it out through the hole.
How to Use Thawed Mascarpone Cheese
Thawed marscarpone cheese can mostly be used in all the same ways as fresh as used. However, using it as a spread will be a little less desirable due to some texture changes. Here are a few ideas for your marscapone cheese:
- Make tiramisu
- Make dressing or dips
- Make cheesecake
- Make pasta sauces
Freezing Mascarpone Cheese FAQ
How long does mascarpone cheese last in the fridge?
Opened mascarpone cheese lasts for 5 to 7 days in the fridge.
How long can mascarpone cheese be stored in the freezer?
Mascarpone cheese can be stored in the freezer for 3 - 5 months without much loss in quality. It is safe to eat way beyond that time, but the longer is is frozen, the more loss of quality it will have.
Can you freeze mascarpone pasta sauce?
Yes, you can freeze marscapone pasta sauce easily in a freezer bag or an airtight container.
Can you freeze mascarpone frosting?
Yes, you can freeze marscapone frosting just like other frostings such as buttercream frosting or cream cheese frosting.
How to Freeze Mascarpone Cheese
- airtight container
- marker or pen
- freezer bags
- plastic wrap
- Mascarpone Cheese
- Stir it up before getting started as sometimes it can separate a little sitting in the fridge.
- Portion it into the amounts you will want when you defrost it.
- optional: wrap the portions in plastic wrap to provide extra protection. also, if you wrap them individually they can all go into one bag or container.
- Spoon your portions into individual freezer safe containers or freezer bags.
- Seal your packages shut by placing the lid on the top of the container. Or, for bags, press any air out of them and zip them closed.
- Label the bag or container with the date and toss into the freezer.