Easy Food Basics may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Yes, you certainly can freeze Rice Krispie treats. You can either flash freeze them or wrap them and then bag them and freeze them. They stay good in the freezer for up to 6 months with maintaining high quality.
How to Freeze Rice Krispie Treats
If you want to make Rice Krispie treats ahead for a party or other celebration or perhaps you can't eat all of the treats you've made in five or so days then freezing your Rice Krispie treats is a great way to store them for later.
You have a few choices as to how to freeze your Rice Krispie treats listed below, but all are equally easy.
Flash freezing Rice Krispie treats
The benefit of flash freezing Rice Krispie treats is that you do not have to then individually wrap them before placing them in the freezer.
- Place your individual Rice Krispie treats on a cookie tray or plate so that they are not touching.
- Place the cookie tray or plate into your freezer on a flat and level surface.
- Allow them to stay in the freezer for around 30 minutes to an hour so that they are mostly frozen.
- Once they are hard, remove from the freezer and place into a freezer bag or other freezer safe container.
- Label the bag or container with the date so that you know when they were frozen. And then pop them back in the freezer.
Freezing your Rice Krispies individually wrapped
If you don't want to flash freeze your treats first, you'll need to individually wrap them because of their sticky nature you want to make sure that they won't be stuck together when frozen.
- Make sure that your treats are thoroughly cooled before getting started.
- Take plastic wrap and tear off sheets big enough to fully in case each treat.
- Place your plastic wrap flat on the counter.
- Put one Rice Krispie treat in the middle of the plastic wrap.
- Fully and securely wrap the plastic wrap around your treat.
- Repeat this process for each treat until all treats are individually wrapped in plastic wrap.
- Next, place your individually wrapped treats into a freezer bag or other freezer safe container.
- Label the bag or container with the date so that you know when the treats have been frozen.
- Place treats into the freezer.
Freezing store-bought Rice Krispie treats
Store-bought Rice Krispie treats can be frozen the same way that homemade treats are frozen. You'll want to decide if you want to flash freeze them or free some individually wrapped.
Either way, simply unwrap them and then either follow the instructions above for flash freezing or freezing via individually wrapped treats.
Freezing Rice Krispie treats by the pan
If you want to freeze an entire pan of Rice Krispie treats you can do so without even cutting them first. This is great if you're bulk making treats for something like a party and will be defrosting them later and then decorating and serving them.
- Make sure your treats and pan are fully cooled before getting started.
- I like to use something like a large Pyrex pan that has a lid pre-made for the container.
- Simply pop the top onto your freezer safe container that you made your treats in.
- Then, place the pan of treats into your freezer to freeze them.
How to Defrost Rice krispie treats
Defrosting Rice Krispie treats is just as easy as freezing them as. To defrost your treats simply remove them from the freezer and place them on your counter at room temperature for an hour or two.
Freezing rice krispie treats FAQ
How long do rice krispie treats last in the freezer?
Rice Krispie treats last in the freezer for around 6 months with maximum quality. However, you can freeze them indefinitely without them going bad the quality will just decrease some.
How Long do rice krispie treats last in the fridge?
Rice Krispie treats last around 5 to 7 days without freezing. However, their best kept at room temperature and not in the fridge. Keeping them in the fridge will make them hard and not as chewy and soft as they're supposed to be.
How to Freeze Rice Krispie Treats
- airtight container
- marker or pen
- freezer bags
- plastic wrap
- aluminum foil
- Rice krispie Treats homemade or store-bought
- Flash freezing the treats allows them to not stick together in the bag or container without having to wrap them. This works for homemade or store-bought.If you have made them at home, ensure they are completely cooled before getting started.
- Lay the cut treats in a single layer on a cookie sheet and stick it in the freezer for 30 - 60 mins.
- Remove from the freezer and pop your treats into a freezer bag or an airtight container
- Press any air from the bag and then zip it closed. Alternatively, if you used a container, press the lid onto the top of it.
- Use a marker or pen to write the date on it and the toss into the freezer.
- This works for homemade or store-bought treats. If you made them at home, ensure they are thoroughly cooled before starting.
- Cut your treats into the portion sizes you will want when defrosted.
- Wrap each treat completely and securely with plastic wrap and/or aluminum foil.If they will be frozen for an extended period of time you can add a second layer for extra protection.
- Toss your wrapped treats into a freezer bag or freezer safe container.
- Place the lid on top of the container, or squeeze all the air from the bag and zip it shut.
- Write the date on the container or bag and pop it into the freezer.
- If you will want the entire pan of treats when defrosted, you can freeze it as a whole pan.
- Make sure they are completely cooled.
- Place the top on your pan. Or, if it doesn't have a top, slide the pan into a large freezer bag.
- Write the date on it and slide it into the freezer.